Some of you may remember about a week ago, one of the members of the Bead Patterns Boutique Forum Group, Carol, was asking about a gift for a nine-month-old granddaughter. The group suggested that she try a beaded baby spoon handle.
Well, my muse heard this and was off to the races. In the midst of my studio reorganization, I started working on some ideas that might work.
I must say, it has been trial and error.
My first step was to go to Walmart and look for baby spoons. I had three criteria in mind:
1) pick a brand that would be easy for people to get all over the country (i.e. it had to be a big name brand)
2) It had to be age-appropriate for the baby
3) the shape of the handle had to be easy to work with.
These are the two that I decided to bring home. Both fit the age criteria. The one on the left is distributed by Walmart, so I thought it would be pretty accessible and the one on the left is by Gerber. I don’t think you can get much more well known in the baby world than that name. I like the shape of the handles on the ones on the left the best, but I decided to give both a try. Also notice, the ones on the left are a set of spoon and fork. That was a plus in my book.
I sent photos of the spoon that I had chosen to Carol to ask for her input. She mentioned that she like the ones with the colored bowls the best, so I decided to start with those.
From past experience, I know that it is easier to bead around a smooth object if you first cover it with either leather, ultra suede, felt of another material. So, I covered the handle with some grey felt. I am not sure that I would use this method in my final version. I am not sure how the felt will hold up under washing. I am thinking that a table cover plastic might be a better choice and a non-water soluble glue would be a good choice. But this gave me a place to start.
Then I started beading. I am trying to coordinate with my “Sweet Sentiments Pen Wraps”, so I chose a white background and I am working in Tubular Even Count Peyote. (I have a tutorial available here).
These handles are pretty tapered, so they do require an increase from time to time. But with the heart motif that I have chosen to use, I am able to camouflage it pretty well.
As you can see, I still have a long way to go. But my muse and I are getting along really well. We are having a great time exploring the possibilities. Hopefully, I will have this pattern done within the next week.
Thanks for bouncing by and sharing my creative process with me.